Parish Unification (1871)
The following extract is from an Act passed in September 1871 that combined the then separate civil parishes of Shipton Oliffe and Shipton Solers, into a single parish called simply 'Shipton'.
Reference Extent of repeal or revocation ___________________________________________________________________
Poor Law Board’s Provisional Orders The whole Act.
Confirmation Act 1871 (34 & 35 Vict. c.lxi) ___________________________________________________________________
Poor Law Board’s Provisional Orders Confirmation Act 1871 (34 & 35 Vict. c.lxi)
1. This note proposes the repeal of an obsolete 1871 Act passed to confirm two provisional orders made to change the system of providing relief for the poor in parts of Gloucester and Lancashire.
2. According to its long title, the purpose of the 1871 Act was to: confirm two Provisional Orders made by the Poor Law Board under the Poor Law Amendment Act, 1867, with reference to the parishes of Shipton Oliffe and Shipton Sollars in the county of Gloucester and to the parish of Dalton in the county of Lancaster.
3. Section 3 of the Poor Law Amendment Act 1867 (“the 1867 Act”)165 provided a means whereby a union of parishes (otherwise known as a “poor law union”) or an individual parish could apply to the Poor Law Board (“the Board”) for an order to adjust the extent of (or to divide) a parish. The Guardians of any union or parish would apply to the Board for an order adjusting or dividing a parish. The Board, if it supported the application, would issue the necessary Provisional Order. Such Provisional Order would have effect only once it had been confirmed by Act of Parliament.
4. The purpose of the 1871 Act was therefore to confirm Provisional Orders made by the Board pursuant to the 1867 Act. Section 1 of the 1871 Act confirmed two such Orders. Northleach Union (Shipton Oliffe and Shipton Sollars Parishes) Order
5. This Order, dated 23 February 1871, provided for the parishes of Shipton Oliffe and Shipton Sollars in the county of Gloucester to be consolidated under the name of the Parish of Shipton. The Order was to take effect on 29 September 1871.
© 2018 Copyright Shipton Parish Council